OregonLawHelp.orgOregon Law Help

Overview of Legal Protections for Domestic Violence Survivors

Authored By: Legal Aid Services of Oregon LSC Funded


Criminal Protections

If you are a victim of domestic violence, sexual assault, or stalking, you can call the police and report your abuse. If there is enough evidence that you were a victim of a crime, the District Attorney’s office may file criminal charges against the person who abused you.

Other Legal Protections

Address Confidentiality Program

If you are a victim of domestic violence, sexual assault, and stalking, and you do not want your abuser to know where you live, you can apply for the Oregon Address Confidentiality Program (ACP). If you qualify, you will be given a substitute address to use in place of your home address. All mail sent to the substitute address will be forwarded to you. To learn more, visit: www.doj.state.or.us/crime-victims/victims-resources/ victims-services/address-confidentiality-program-acp/

Protective Orders

If you are a victim of domestic violence, stalking, or sexual as- sault, you may qualify for a protective order. It does not cost anything to apply for a protective order. A protective order can require your abuser to stay away from you and to stop contacting you. If your abuser violates the order, the police must arrest them. The D.A.’s office may then prosecute them for violating the protective order.

See the 2-page PDF for more civil legal protections for survivors and their children

2-Page PDF with Information to download or read online

Last Review and Update: Nov 20, 2017