Field Sanitation: It's your Right.
Authored By: Legal Aid Services of Oregon
- Read this in:
- Spanish / Español
Field Sanitation: It's Your Right
In Oregon, agricultural employers must have bathrooms and water in the field, located where their workers can conveniently use them. The law requires:
- One toilet for every 20 workers, and separate toilets for men and women, if possible. Toilets should have doors that lock for privacy;
- Bathrooms must be kept clean and have enough toilet paper;
- Clean water, soap, and paper towels for washing hands, and garbage containers;
- Clean drinking water and enough cups for all; must be served in a sanitary way;
- Signs in English and Spanish explaining these requirements and giving information about how to make a sanitation complaint;
If you do not have these services at your work place or they are in bad condition, you can make a complaint by calling toll-free 1-800-321-6742. There you can talk to someone in Spanish. If your employer is a contractor you can also file a claim for penalty damages.