Know the Facts about "Public Charge"
Authored By: Oregon Law Center, et al
- Read this in:
- Arabic / العربية
- Spanish / Español
- Korean / 한국어
- Mandarin Chinese / 官話
- Russian / Pусский
- Somali / Soomaali
- Vietnamese / Tiếng Việt
- Chinese / 中文
For a full Fact Sheet on Public Charge, choose a language above and then click HERE: apps.state.or.us
(Public Charge Rule 1-30-2020) On January 27, 2020, the US Supreme Court said that the federal government’s new Public Charge rule is no longer “blocked”, and can go into effect while the lawsuits challenging the new rule work their way through the courts. The new Public Charge rule will go into effect on February 24th, 2020 everywhere in the US (except for Illinois). The rule will not be retroactive, so no one will be held to the new rule until after February 24th. Especially now that the new Public Charge rule is going into effect, it is important to fight fear with facts, and remember that:
- Many immigrants are exempt from the Public Charge rule - check the Public Charge Fact Sheet to see if the Public Charge rule does not apply to you; https://oregonimmigrationresource.org/resources/?tab=public-charge
- Many benefits do not count in the Public Charge test – check the Public Charge Fact Sheet to see all the benefits that do not count in a Public Charge test; https://oregonimmigrationresource.org/resources/?tab=public-charge
- Benefits an immigrant’s children/family members get do not count against the immigrant in his or her Public Charge test inside the US;
- Getting public benefits alone does not make you a public charge. Some public benefits may be critically important for the health and safety of your family. Read the Fact Sheet at https://oregonimmigrationresource.org/resources/?tab=public-charge or get legal advice so that you can make the right decision for your family.
- Resources: Go to Oregonimmigrationresource.org to find an immigration attorney, or call the Legal Aid/Oregon Law Center Public Benefits Hotline at 1-800-520-5292 for legal advice about public benefits and Public Charge. *The Hotline will be open every Tuesday evening in February from 5:30-7:30 to answer questions about Public Charge, in addition to the regular daytime hours.